The sweet taste, juiciness and gorgeous red color of strawberries make them one of the all-time favorite fruits. They can be eaten fresh (raw) or cooked and are delicious in jams, smoothies, desserts, cereals and more. Strawberries are low in calories, one cup of whole strawberries is less than 100 calories! Unless you add them to your cheesecake, coat them with chocolate or roast them and add to ice-cream (see below), of course. When purchasing strawberries, choose ones that are firm (but not too much) and bright red color. If you can’t eat them soon after purchase, place them in the freezer to enjoy later.
Pixie’s favorite strawberry recipe, Strawberries with sour cream + brown sugar:
- 2 – 3 cups of whole strawberries, washed, but with stems attached
- 1/2 tablespoon of Grand Marnier liqueur
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon brandy (optional)
- In a bowl, combine the whole strawberries and the Grand Marnier liqueur for 15 minutes.
- The strawberries should stay firm but absorb some of the liqueur.
- Mix the sour cream and brandy (optional) in a bowl.
- Serve the strawberries, sour cream and brown sugar each in their own separate dish.
To eat this delicious dessert, holding onto the stem dip each strawberry first into the sour cream and brandy mixture and then lightly dip in the brown sugar. Enjoy!